Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Smart Car Oil Consumption. How much is normal for motorway use? I am getting through about a litre a month...

I have just recently moved and am now doing a long motorway commute to work everyday, after a couple of months my oil tank is empty, I think i am going through about a litre a month. I don't think I have a leak. Can anyone tell me if this is normal for a smart car doing higher mileage? Or should I be visiting my local garage.... thanks!|||Your oil consumption is heavy. There are a few things you should try, the most obvious is to reduce your speed. the Smart was not built for motorway use, try and keep your speed to 60. Change the oil every 5000 miles and use a fully synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 and only use the genuine oil filter.





Allow the engine to tick over for a minute after you come to a rest after a trip on the motorway. This will allow the oil to go around the engine and cool down any components that are particularly hot.





Consider changing the car to something better suited to motorway use. I have a round trip of 120 miles each day, all motorway, and my car uses no oil|||far to much oil,you have a problem somewhere,check with your local mechanic|||Oil consumption is usually the fault of worn valve guides, piston rings, cylinder wall damage or external leakage.


Most auto makers will say your consumption is normal if you drive 4,000 - 5,000 KM per month. Any excessive oil use(yours) in 1,500 miles or less it very excessive. A complete overhaul, rebuilt guaranteed engine or a new motor from your dealer is in order.|||Using a litre of oil every 500-1000 miles is normal. As long as it's not leaking.|||sounds like youre burning a bit of oil... your engine is probably about due for a rebuild... rings are probably shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment